Thursday 25 June 2015

Never Judge a Book by it's Cover

(January 2015)
The snow was falling heavily to the north of Cannock, coating the Peak District in a white blanket. I'd been working all weekend and had the urge to go out to explore the wintry conditions. I knew Dave (Chairman of the WMC) would most likely be free on a week day, so I gave him a bell to ask if he would be up for venturing out. Luckily he was, so I suggested walking the whale back ridge that forms the spine of Mam Tor. 


Walking up out of Castleton


Dave picked me up on a dry and overcast morning, and we set off in the  direction of the Peak. I sat in the car chatting away, already knowing some of the many expeditions Dave had taken part on from the Karakom to Greenland and the Andes. He talked about his connections with the British Mountaineering Council (Governing body of Climbing, Mountaineering and walking in the UK), I was amazed that I was sat in a car with such an accomplished mountaineer and climber. And also thought that if my CV looked half as good as Dave's I would have achieved a hell of a lot. 


The snow lay thick as we walked out of Castleton heading up across some farmland surrounded by flocks of prying sheep. I watched Dave move with his bag untidily stuffed with a map wrapped in a bread bag, a walking pole protruding out the top, a few spare layers and a loaf of Soreen bread. He didn't look like an experienced and world class mountaineer that he was. We plodded on up until we found a flat spot on the ridge for tea and some food. 

View through the clag


Mam Tor ridgeline


After Dave had brushed off his square section of foam that he used to sit and keep his backside from getting cold on the snow (another example of simple equipment gained through years of experience), we set off along the ridge. We waded through drifts of snow and watched as a few intrepid paragliders launched  from the summit, catching some form of thermals even on this cold day. 

Sun breaking the cloud behind Mam Tor



Intrepid paragliders

 
The summit was marked as usual with a cairn, and surrounded by a flock of crows searching for scraps among the snow. The descent route took us along the old road that lay destroyed after several large landslides over the decades off the East face of Mam Tor itself. 

Summit cairn

 
As we walked across the warped and buckled tarmac Dave told me about the history of the road, as well as the famous Blue John (a semi-precious mineral) that occurs in many caves beneath the area attracting thousands of tourists each year.

Which way?



I absorbed Dave's knowledge of his years of climbing and walking in the Peak and soaked it up like a sponge as he spoke about the area geological and human history. 


Mam Tor east face

The day may not have been an epic slog or climbing box ticked, but I had spent a day with a true legend of British climbing and mountaineering who I may never have got to know so well. And I learnt once again that you can never tell a book by it's cover, particularly a man wearing Aldi track suit bottoms. 
 
My advice when out in the hills speak to that person, join someone you normally wouldn't for the day and ask the questions when you get the chance. Because you never know who you may meet, stories you will hear or skill you may gain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment